New Huts USA: planned or under construction
New Huts USA, planned or under construction, are listed in the order in which hut2hut.info hears about them (latest first). Please let us know about new huts USA!
- Vermont Huts Association is exploring viable sites in Green Mountain National Forest to host a year-round facility capable of serving various outdoor enthusiasts, including hikers, mountain bikers, backcountry skiers, and snow-shoers.
- Planning for a hut system by the American Prairie Reserve in Montana is in the conceptual stage. Their website has conceptual map and designs, and states that: “American Prairie Reserve Hut-to-Hut System will offer a level of affordability, a sense of security, and shelter from the elements that appeal to a wide range of visitors, including families, well-traveled adventurers, seniors, youth programs, and less experienced campers.” Construction is now underway for the first three huts in a planned ten hut system.
- The Vermont Huts Association was established in August 2016 with the mission: “To enhance the backcountry experience in Vermont by connecting the year-round recreation community with the evolving network of hut, cabin, yurt and lodge operators.”
- Plans for the 650 mile single-track biking Oregon Timber Trail include a network of huts along the trail. The huts are planned for later phases of the newly opened and as yet incomplete trail.
- Tenth Mountain Division Huts is fundraising for a c. $600,000 “Base of Operations” located on 4.2 acres of donated land in Leadville. The facility will include three buildings (vehicle and equipment storage, toolshed, and short-term housing for up to 4 people), and an area to process firewood.
- Grand Huts in Colorado have received a $100,000 grant to help fund the construction of a new hut, the second in a hut system projected to grow to up to seven huts.
- Summit Huts Association (CO) has received a permit to add a fifth hut to its system.Alaska Mountain and Wilderness Huts Association has hired its first full-time staff person, Tom Callahan, and plans to add 3 new huts to its system, which currently consists of one hut. The plan to launch a capital campaign in 2016.
- Spearhead Huts System, a joint project of the Alpine Club of Canada and British Columbia, has been in the planning process for a traverse comprised of three huts near Whistler, B.C. Their 2012 project proposal gives a good overview of plans at that time. Updates on the planning process are available on their website.
- The Columbia River “Towns to Trails Initiative” is a project of the Friends of the Columbia River Gorge Friends. From their website: “Gorge Towns to Trails is a vision for a comprehensive trail system wrapping around the Columbia Gorge, linking communities with recreation, benefiting tourism, and highlighting and enhancing the beauty and wonder of the Columbia Gorge. ” They appear to be in the very early stages of planning.
- [Appalachian Mountain Club (NH) has officially withdrawn a proposal to add a ninth hut to its system in the Presidential Range of the White Mountains.]
- Maine Huts and Trails has completed 4 of its planned huts. Plans for continued expansion are not yet set.
- Adirondack Community-based Trails and Lodging System (ACLTS) is in the early stages of planning a system based on linking existing trails and supplementing existing lodging options to created a series of hut and trail systems in the Adirondack Park. This will hut system will be called Adirondacks “Hamlets to Huts”.